Brentwood District Talking Newspaper (BDTN)
The purpose of the Data Protection Act is to protect the rights and privacy of individuals. The Act ensures that data about people is not processed without their knowledge and wherever possible is processed with their consent. The Act covers any personal information that might help to identify a living person.
BDTN collects and processes certain types of information as a necessary part of carrying out its responsibilities and administering its operations. Such information is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998.
BDTN collects, handles and uses personal information and will, as far as is possible, follow the eight principles of the Act. It maintains technical and other security arrangements to safeguard personal information and its website contains a statement on how it deals with such information collected through the site. The eight principles are that personal data must be:
- processed fairly and lawfully
- obtained lawfully and used only for the purpose for which it was collected
- adequate, relevant and not excessive
- accurate and kept up to date
- kept no longer than is necessary
- processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects
- securely kept
- not transferred to any country outside the EU without adequate protection in place.
BDTN will only use personal information provided by individuals and will use this information:-
- to keep our Register up to date
- to manage the talking newspaper
- to provide services
- to inform others of BDTN membership (general information only is given)
Such personal information is subject to certain rights of access by the individuals to whom it relates which entitle them to:
• know what the information is
• be informed for what purposes the information is being processed and to whom it may have been disclosed
• the opportunity for incorrect information to be amended or erased.
Any such requests in respect of personal information held by BDTN should be addressed, in writing, to:
Brentwood District Talking Newspaper
c/o Town Hall, Ingrave Road, Brentwood. CM15 8AY
There is always a risk when information is transmitted over, or made available on the Internet, that such information will go astray. BDTN will always try to protect personal information but cannot guarantee security and any information supplied will be at individuals’ own risk.
Information about members will not be knowingly shared with other than BDTN administrators, third party or used in any other way unless such use has been agreed by the supplier of the information or BDTN are legally obliged to do so.
Data Protection Act registration:-
BDTN is not required to register under the Act as it is a non-profit making organisation that meets certain requirements. Information about the need to register can be found at www.ico.gov.uk
25th May 2018